Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Neat! *click*

Trying to keep the habits up - you know, a paragraph a day keeps the dictionary at bay? Maybe not... Luckily I can count on those who blog to help me find a topic worthy of postage, er posting. First, congrats go out to the venerable Jamesh who hath reached 100 posts in his fine bit-swirling kingdom. No clue why the flowery language, but I'm rolling with it. Nice mix there. Can't complain about his football prediction prowess - far surpass what I am able to attempt in most sports.

Kimota94, of course, had a selection of keyboard sculptings to sample from, so I chose the one that ties with The Man of 100 posts. Guess some gentle observations were passed along that just didn't sit well. I, however, liked the idea so I'm gonna type about it here. The idea was that perhaps one way to help people at work keep up with all the postings going on was to exercise some brevity.

If one's perused this blogdom in the past, one realizes that "brevity" is not an apt adjective at all. Giant pile of bit-litter maybe, but whatever it is, it'ain't small. And that's the way I likes it - cluttered with thoughts and ideas. Maybe there'll be something useful, but mainly it was a good time just causing the confusing pile to come into being. I mean even now you can't say whether I'm fur-it or again-it - being brief that is. Obviously the post is not an example, but I am for it. In fact I'd like to practice it. Just not here...

First, I don't think that shorter posts will help get more people to keep reading the postings. I feel it is a type of habit to compile information by reading several sources continuously. Some may call it "internet addiction" or "news addiction", but like most things there is a useful aspect that can be taken too far. I think that having posts that present some succinct elements will encourage more people to take part, but it won't be the deciding factor.

Writing of the sort needed in a work place needs to be both concise and palatable. Brevity can be achieved by presenting ideas up front, with the clever palatable prose following (remember: this blog is not an example. I'm describing utopia, not bringing you there). This provides a compromise between the voice of the author and the need to get to the point. This duality is needed because some people like to read lots of prose - details, history anecdotes - while others don't want to read, but need the information. Satisfying these two groups would be something I'd like to be able to do. Guess I have to look for ways to practice...

No comments: