Friday, February 9, 2007

OMGIF

This day has had a strange pallor, a weird vibe a... something to it. The young woman (young == younger than me) who rang my purchases through this evening commented that it was going to be a long, lonely night. I noted that work felt like a ghost town at 5:01pm.

I was eager to play hockey today as the regular Tuesday game was canceled this week. Got up on time for the earlier start, except the light snowfall meant I had to shovel the driveway. Note the shovel - not blower. I'd like to point out that the human machine is much more environmentally friendly. Mainly because you have to keep the human in good shape either way (ie. you eat, you breathe). Plus you can pick up a shovel with little preparation. And you don't have to purchase and mix gas. Getting back to hockey, it was a really good game today. There were more people out than the previous weeks and some guys who were really handy with the puck. Got to spend the game trying to generate offense (offence?), another nice thing. Got a nice garbagy goal - bounced off the glove and almost straight up. And over the shoulder and in, with a nice gentle plop. Got some nice shots through from the point. Ran into a coworker (by accident - really!) in front of the other net. I was cutting hard from the wing (without the puck) and he was moving to a defensive position and our paths intersected. No harm, no foul.

Got to work in time to provide some assistance for a demo. It was good for me - I learned quite a bit about what was being demoed. Spent most of the day doing administrative type work, after getting some release notes together. Didn't get to see off my co-worker on his big trip, but I really appreciated his help today. Got through some meetings with customers pretty well - think I have a handle on what is going on. Just have to keep that up and get my own stuff done next week.

Saw a bit of "Pros vs. Joes" on Spike tonight - the most painfully funny sports-related thing I've seen. They took 5 pros (from baseball, football, an olympic swimmer, an NBA star and a WNBA star) and 3 Joes who never really skated and had them do an ice hockey challenge. They had to put 5 pucks in the far net in the shortest amount of time - Joe with the smallest time wins this round. There were 2 Joes in this and 2 Pros. The Joes picked the NBA star (6' 7", 290 lbs man who doesn't skate) and the swimmer (who doesn't skate). The basketball star was surprisingly good - he was done in about 2 mins. The first Joe was the painfully funny one - 5+ minutes. He fell every few seconds, and I noted a few things that the shinny players will understand: 1) no elbow pads 2) figure skates.

I was thinking about this challenge, and I think that I would typically shoot the puck about 10 times in 1 min, after playing for an hour. That's with 3 pucks and having to retrieve them. Really illustrates why you have to learn how to skate first... Painful! I saw a preview that showed there will be an episode with Claude Lemieux as one of the pros... That would be interesting to see.

Sorta surprised at Kimota94's output today... or maybe not. Being home with all that time off meant that the blog was whimpering in the corner, knowing what's coming. Admirable output - and some good stuff tonight too!

Guess I'm going to have to put some time aside and come up with some story ideas. Been itching to start something, but haven't found anything compelling. Guess I should start small and work up. But we'll see.

No comments: