Monday, February 19, 2007

On Writing

Kimota94's post (jeez, count how many times I've started with that) on Neil Gaiman's post stuck a chord with me. Kinda obvious because I'm taking the time to generate a post. I love that description too. From what I can recall off-hand, I think that many good writers create in the way described. Which is to start with an idea and see where the writing takes them. I hope to reinforce that it is not unusual and that Kimota should feel a kinship with those excellent writers.

The more I think about writing in that way, the more I realize where research fits in. Something sparks and idea, a curiosity, a twinge which leads to exploration. That may involve notes and years and books and conversations, but really it builds an internal understanding. After that's festered long enough, characters can than play on that skein, emerging then sliding to the background - inhabiting it. Then, as a writer, you just follow those characters around and record what they say.

I wish I had an idea to follow around... I'm sure there'll be one, but not yet. I'll have to practice with smaller stuff. Create some characters and maybe revive some old ones. Like the guy with white t-shirt, stained with gumbo and scorched from his chicken flambe. Never said much, but boy did he like chicken flambe. Every day he made it. Grades 7 and 8 were good times. But I feel that belongs to past-me, and future-me should come up with his own darn characters!

A poignant post and excellent discussion.

No comments: