Friday, December 29, 2006

Mmmm... Friday...

Started today off right - played hockey, scored a nice goal. Ed booked two hours back-to-back, the first hour for kids to play, the second for the regular Tuesday crowd. Got great response today though - being a Friday and starting at 10am instead of 8am. We had 20 skaters, which made for deep benches. Deep benches made for a very very fast game though - skate hard, get off. Everyone commented on how good the game was, and I think the game was being played at level we don't normally reach. Team yellow, my side, was chastised in the locker room after because we decided to play defense. I setup a nice goal in the early going, diving towards the back of the net but dumping a quick backhand in front. Found a yellow pinnie an they made no mistake. It's gratifying to be flying behind the net and see the puck hit the mesh before completing the circuit. My own goal was off a rebound - picked it up in the slot and just waited and waited while I drifted across... The goalie was down, which is good because I tend to go high. I hit the center vertical bar and it was satisfying. Now I just have to figured out how to fake the goalie to get them down when break in alone...

I'm itching to play more often, so I'm hoping that maybe I can play tomorrow. Normally my oldest has swimming, but I'm not sure what is going during this holiday season. He hasn't been there for one reason or another for more than a month. Ah well - the Y is a good place, and lessons are part of membership, so no harm done.

My cousin and his family paid us a visit this afternoon. They were headed into town to hang out with the grandparents. Like his wife says - "It's great to have company 'cause it means you have to clean the house." I so agree with that. Most heartily agree. Mine heart leaps with joyous recognition... Guess I can't really make up for that first phrase, but hopefully the sentiment is conveyed. Their little guy his growing so fast - 17 months and he is bigger than my youngest (34 months). So big that we can't keep sending them our hand-me-downs! Not surprising really - both parents are quite tall. The kids played pretty nicely together, but my youngest was a little tired so grew possessive at times. My wife made a nice baked good - something like raspberry cheesecake squares. Just a little too soft to eat with the fingers, but tasty.

And that was pretty much my day. Except for the game of Life, which my oldest won. And the great second period between the Leafs and the Penguins. It was 1-1 after 2, but I understand the Pens won 4-1. I didn't see it, but I was very happy to watch the second. Aubin kept the Leafs in it - stonewalled Crosby/Malkin/Recchi a few times. Play really opened up after the Leafs goal. Anyway.... must sleep... so... tired.. but still... I type...

No comments: