Tuesday, December 26, 2006

"Surviving" holidays

Read Kimota94's post about Christmas Survival and it got me thinking. First that he's lucky to have so many consumable gifts (and how they have been processed in a unidirectional fashion), but more about survival.

I've heard many people comment on "surviving" holidays, but I think it is poor word usage. Survival implies some kind of struggle, something epic and memorable. Existing or persisting or muddling or crawling through is closer to the mark. Holidays can be a lot of work, but struggles with the holidays tend to mirror the other aspects of modern life. People complain of having no time, not enough time in the day not enough etc etc etc. Time can be created, or tasks removed, whatever suits you (see: Agile Methodologies). Personally, I am generally late for things (my wife claims my name should be "Chief Running-late"), so I understand the problem. Intimately. Padding estimates and better planning improves the entire situation. The worst case that I see is that some things get missed - like forgetting that special yam-pudding for dinner at Aunt Freida's or not remembering a gift for that last-minute Christmas invite. Everyone is busy and has many things to remember. Like what people want for Christmas, what parties to go to, which relatives one should simply not talk to.

Point, point... I know I had a point in here somewhere... Here it is! Seems to me that a better approach would be to make some solid (read: simple) plans in advance, stock up on and deal with things as they come. Works on so many levels for some many things it is scary. Or right. Oh, and I am right - something I've discovered over the past few years. All the people I've met that have used this approach are generally relaxed people that can handle anything that life throws at them. I think they tend to die quietly in their sleep, not screaming in terror like their passengers. People that fret over every detail are rarely happy about the results, no matter how good the outcome. My mother (and my aunt) are both fabulous cooks, but they always warn us that something is too dry or not done right, when it is absolutely perfect for me. Fortunately they worry about the meal but let other things take care of themselves so they don't blow a gasket on a special day.

This is not to say that there isn't a lot of work to be done - it's the hurried, resentfulness so many bring to it. Your work is brining some sort of solace to some one you know and (hopefully) like, so why can't that be it's own reward? Rhetorical question, but I can answer it. It's the same reason that people can't walk out on a cold clear night and gaze at a darkened sky and sense the peaceful calm of existence.

Maybe I'm just ignorant of the whole problem. The pressure can be tremendous and it can be overwhelming. Knowing what I could be dealing with instead of relatives, presents, late nights and culinary disaster removes the pressure for me. My wife and I developed a theory of "constant worry" - that the average person has to worry to some measurable mark. During the Great Depression, the things that one had to worry about were simple and basic - will I still have a job tomorrow? Will my job give me enough money to buy bread on the way home tonight? Do I have enough food so I won't die during the night? Move ahead to the 1950's and people worried about Jimmy swearing and whether their telephones will give them polio. Western (affluent) society cares little about the day-to-day realities of food, shelter and survival because they are trivially handled. Society invents problems (or perhaps the media suggests problems and society accepts them). Things like whiter teeth or car navigation systems. I suppose that some worry excessively about Christmas because they need to raise their worry level and move their yearly average up to social norms. Maybe it's really a sign that things are okay, that everything is going exceptionally well for all concerned.

I just wish people would enjoy themselves a little more and worry less. It's easier to get along with happy people. Merry Christmas.

No comments: