Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Hockey, hockey, hockey, hockey, hockey all the time!

Started off this Tuesday with a fine round of hockey. Nothing like playing hockey, especially in the middle of the summer! Since I started up again a few years ago I recalled how much I like being in the arena and the chill before you get warmed up, the fun of playing on a smooth surface. Playing in the summer is all that, but its freakishly warm outside! Always fun to walk into a room that has it's own fog bank. Memorable moments today - stopped a puck on the goal line (playing defense) and setup then scored in a pretty play that began behind the net in the offensive zone. Shot the puck to the half-boards and immediately circled back to the front of the net. No one to pick me up, the person on the half boards sent the puck right through the middle and the 5 hole opened up nicely. One of the few one-timers that I have connected solidly on. Also made a few good plays along the boards in the defensive end digging the puck out. Also memorable was the spear I delivered to myself. Chasing the puck around the offensive net, my blade caught the mesh and stick went right at my stomach. Threw the net off the moorings and left me shocked that I didn't have a stick through my middle. I got better though. I was surprised at the immediate after-effects - almost seeing stars and I wasn't 100% for about 2 minutes. I was okay for the rest of the game though.

Today was one of those days were one team seemed to have a spontaneous organization to it - probably because all the players had some organized play experience. That team happened to be my team (or the "blue pinnie" team). Teams are chosen by throwing sticks (make a big pile, grab two and throw one to the left and one to the right). Adjustments are made so that all the good players aren't on one team, but the system doesn't produce perfect balance.

The blue team started off with well-positioned defense and balanced offense. On the attack, we usually carried the puck in (or dumped it in a few times) and had at least two people there. That provides some nice options and can often turn into a 2-on-1 situation. Defensively, there was always a man back - I don't think there was more than 1 breakaway for the other team. The other team didn't stick to even vague positions for very long, leading to several breakaways and the odd-man rushes. It's hard to describe exactly what the difference is, but I can tell when I'm on that team. If I'm on the bench watching I can tell when a team reaches this cohesive play state, but not while I'm on the ice.

Actually that's not entirely true. I can tell if I pay attention to my own reactions to the other team. If they are well-positioned, I'm more easily frustrated in my attempts to clear the puck, so that's usually a good sign.

Anyway, it was a good game today. Four on four with a sub on each side. Twelve skaters would be better (then it's 5-v-5 with 1 sub each) but it is the summer. I don't know why it is so difficult to get people out during the summer. I mean I understand that more people are on vacation but there is a weird drop-off where people who are not on vacation don't show up either. Personally I being at work all the time means that it isn't an issue to show up - I'm around anyway. At most I'll have a couple of weeks off, but I can't afford distant vacations so I usually work in some games then anyway. Another problem for our group is the people who were former regulars that aren't showing up (like Ed and Peter and claude). I mean just because Claude's wife had a baby doesn't mean you miss hockey! Sheesh! Ed probably has some work-related stuff that's "holding him back" - fiduciary responsibilities my butt! Peter needs to make our partners and 3rd party vendors understand that hockey is more important. Fortunately, I've heard rumor that some may actually return to the ice and wield the stick again.

I am still pretty darn happy that I have found a place to play hockey again. And in the summer. It's all good.

1 comment:

Jason h said...

Hey! i'm going to cali this sunday.. gonna be there for a week, this is the site i was talking about where i made the extra cash. later!