Sunday, July 29, 2007

The puzzlement continues

Didn't spend a whole lot of time on the computer today, except for this evening! I put everything through some excruciating trials - namely CounterStrike: Source. I was able to play for a few hours without any issues. But with a minor issue - I had to under-clock my GPU.

This is what I was doing from the beginning - that is when I had my original 6800GT OC. I had an "overclocked" card, but I had to underclock it to get it to work reliably. So I'm kinda torn - is it the power supply, the video card or something else unknown? Guess time will tell. I'm hoping that the computer store will take back their powersupply. I found that ncix.com has the Antec Neo HE 500 in stock, which looks like a good choice. It is a modular power supply with two of the output plugs being independent rails. Using that, I can put the hard drive, optical drive and fans on one rail, and the video card on another. With the Enermax Noisetaker II 495 (that's what the model is named), the manual seems to indicate that the second 12 V rail is for the CPU (that 4-pin plug right on the motherboard). That kinda defeats the purpose (for me anyway) of getting a split-rail powersupply.

Anyway, I'll also call BFG and see if they can diagnose what is going on. If they recommend a new powersupply, I'll see if they have a particular one in mind that I should use.

No comments: