Sunday, July 1, 2007

Paint splatters

I kinda mentioned, in this post, about how I was engaging in my first truly personal home improvement project. Not like I haven't done stuff around the house before, but it hasn't really been my house before and I haven't done it all myself before, so it's been an important first. Hard to imaging, old as I am getting, that this is a first. Guess the opportunity hasn't really been there before, what with the renting and all. Doesn't really make sense to remodel someone else's place...

Anyway I can pretty much call the project done. Well, not exactly finished yet, what with the touch-ups and such, but pretty much done. The walls and ceiling are painted and look pretty good. The walls are a dark grey-blue colour and the ceiling white so some touch ups will be required. Finally broke down and used some masking tape when finishing the door frame (door into the house). I painted it white to match the side door leading out of the garage and really didn't want that splatter over the relatively dark wall. Plus cutting the side of the door frame is awkward.

So, what have I learned... First the ceiling hatch into the garage-attic needs to have some handles on it. Would be easier (read: safer) to handle if you didn't have to jam your hand around an edge to maneuver it. Second that primer is a beautiful thing, especially over drywall. The walls required 2 gallons (3.78*2 = 7.56 litres) of primer. That meant the 2 gallons of paint gave me two coats. Looks so much better with two coats, even though I used the cheap "contractor grade" paint. It's a garage after all, where my cars live, and I think they can live with cheap paint. They're going to spend most of their time in the dark so the sparkling warm depth of premium paint would be lost on them. Philistines.

Well, this will lead to the next great solo project for me - building a table/tool area for the garage. That may not be so solo as I'm going to hit up people for extra wood. If they've got some, I'll use what I can get my hands on. They may even help me cut it. The non-solo project will be the "raised patio" as I'm going to call it. Not a deck, but something made of masonry and precast concrete that will be where a deck would be. More on that some other time.

No comments: