Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Some kind of blogger-ful

My well meaning idea of trying to blog everyday is has not lived up to its description. I'm still going to use that description because something like "do some writing every time you feel like it - at least 4 times a week, but try and spread them out a little" is hard to communicate. Today contains many little nuggets, so it should be easy.

First thing was a little sport - but I've already detailed that outing in verbose fashion. The current work project I've been toiling at hasn't really had a clearly defined end-point. Until today that is - I want to take some time off in August to work on my "raised patio" (yes that is what I am calling it). Mid-August is the target, which I'm taking to be the 2nd and 3rd weeks in August. That is fine as long as I can wrap up said project by then. So I have a goal and a deadline.

Still haven't returned my RMA'd video card and it's starting to bother my CS:S performance. I guess I got used to the excellent visuals my 6800GT produced and the Ti4200GT is just not cutting it. Well, that should be done soon - in the next few days.

Also got hooked up with Rogers Hi-Speed express yesterday, but ran into a snag right off the bat. The ethernet wiring in my home - installed be me and a good friend of mine - is not done. It's in the walls, but there aren't really any connectors or wall plates and there is no plug-panel or terminator in the basement. Plus all the wires are hanging down and in the way in the basement. Not a big deal because no one is down there much, but my DSL modem (and now my cable modem) are down there. And there is one cable hooked up. We added a connector to the end of one cable and added one wall plate so that the computer room would have a connection to the (appropriate) modem. The connector on the end of this cable seems to be a bit sensitive, so when I plugged it into the cable modem, no signal was getting though. So I have to look into that and possible change the connector. I don't want to finish the plug panel because I can't really afford it. It's going to cost ~$200 for the panel and plates. Then I'd need a rack or something to attach it to. Using the backing for they hydro breakers is a non-starter as it isn't big enough. And probably not a good idea to run Cat6 near such a large electrical field. I do have a line on some nice standard, full-size racks that will become available eventually. I'd like to wait until then as they would be much nicer than anything I could afford to by new.

I'd also like to send anyone who may stumble upon this to Five Years, Five Lakes, Two bicycles! This is the online journal a coworker is maintaining as he travels by bicycle around Lake Superior. Something he pointed out to me is that not only is he biking around the lake, but he biked to the start from home and from the finish to home. So it's a pretty big undertaking. He's a fair ways along, as he started in Michigan and is now on the western side of the lake! Also check out this Google mashup to track where he's been. Quite the adventure - something I'm interested in doing, but really cannot at this point. Hard enough dealing with time off properly, let alone telling my wife "oh I took 2 weeks off and I'll see you 2 weeks. Bye!!!" I think my kids wouldn't be all that pleased either... Maybe they'd be okay with it as I wouldn't be hogging the computer. Ahh the sweet tradeoffs that make life the chewy chocolate biscuit it is. Or something.

1 comment:

Mike Marsman said...

Thanks for the link! I've got to do what i can go 'get my geek on' when I have the chance... the googlemapsapi folks make it pretty easy.