Monday, April 6, 2009

Whether the weather?

Yesterday was a nice day out of doors - intense sun, but not too hot.  Today was not like that, not at all.  I heard the inevitable "this is so unusual" comments, but I disagree.  I went to the Canadian Weather Office and looked up this day in the historical data.  I wasn't sure where to start so I picked a random year: 1982.  That year's been in the news a lot, where the interest, inflation and unemployment numbers were compared against.  Apparently, those values are doing better now than 1982 and so is the weather.  I'm starting to wonder if the climate is related to the economic downturn... I'll have my auguries perform some haruspicy and try to establish a correlation.  Anyway, here's the historical data for April 1982.

There are many interesting things to note there.  The first is that we've had some pretty windy, gusty days, but no where near the > 100 km/h gusts recorded on April 3, 1982.  April 5 and April 6 were both cold, with April 6 not getting above -7 C.  The temperatures for April 6, 2009 show a maximum temperature of 4 C and minimum of -5.  The day isn't done, so it may fall a few degrees, but this illustrates the difference.  April 5, 1982 saw 5 cm of snow fall, with 3 cm on the ground, 10 cm on the ground by April 6, 1982.  So even though the weather isn't great today, it's been much worse "in living memory".  Although I wouldn't be able to remember that specific day, the inter-weeb helped by being my external brain pack.

No comments: