Thursday, January 15, 2009

Day 15 Incredible!

Two weeks, plus a day.  It does sound like something a judge would say - maybe "neighbourhood court".  Provincial courts can do anything up to 2 years, less a day - municipal would be 2 months less a day and neighbourhood... Not really that droll when I have to spell it out, but I thought it was weak and needed some help...

I heard a comment on the radio about this being around the time that everyone has given up on their New Year's resolutions - or maybe it was the 19th of January.  Whatever.  It just reminded me about New Year's and parties and, most importantly, what I've been drinking over the holidays.  What have I been drinking you ask?  You don't care?  Well guess what - I do!  Harkening back to our company Christmas party, otherwise known as one of the few nights out in a year when I can imbibe liberally (imbibe like a Liberal?), I had an expensive cocktail (rye and coke) and switched to something I "mixed" myself - Crown and coke.  I must say that this is definitely the combination that my body acclimatizes to readily as I did not run into the issues of a few years previous.  That is the infamous "rye and coke" then "wine with dinner" followed by "rye and coke", then "I'm out of dough - no more rye and coke" and then someone sagely suggesting the unconsumed bottles of wine on the tables...  I think he knows who he is ;)  Anyway, there was none of that.  That weekend I made my annual LCBO trek, filling the cabinet with my personal stock and gifts for others.

Having seen that whiskey is good - I have known this for some time - I decided that I should branch out to Irish whiskey from my Rye and modest Scotch stocks.  I have heard excellent things about Jameson's.  This became my nog-enhancer of choice over the holidays, and it was good.  Next, I had read good things about "Red Breast", which turned out to be a 12-year-old blend of Irish whiskey's.  Another excellent beverage, best enjoyed straight up.  Reminds me of some of the better brandies or cognacs I've sampled.  I bought a nice looking blueberry Stoli - that's Stolichnaya infused with blueberries - as a gift.  I guess I'll find out how it is sometime in the future.  I also acquired a small bottle of Bailey's Irish Cream, mint chocolate flavoured, but I haven't opened it yet.  I'm thinking that it will be an excellent coffee additive, but I haven't been in the position to consume such a thing.  If the weather stays as it has been for the last few days however...

What else did I have over the holidays?  Some homemade red wine, Bailey's, scotch, Vecchio Romagna, and a selection of carbonated fermented grains.  You know, beer - but nothing fancy.  Sounds like a lot, but a small glass at time over the course of 3 or 4 weeks.  Always nice to enjoy the drink, rather than cramming down drink after drink...  I really do miss those super-sour Tom Collin's the Bomber used to have... 

No comments: