Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Day 21 Work intrigue

Soon I will quit tagging each post with a day - I think after this month, that should be good.  It's a nice reminder now - keeps the whole thing moving along nicely.  Not so nice was the brief meeting at work today.  We were abruptly summoned to an "all-hands" meeting to find out... that some people were being let go.  Not people in the area I'm directly a part of, but people that I've worked with, possibly for years.  Something that was really nice was that they were not named by those in charge.  They have 2 weeks and have been encouraged to spend those two weeks on the job.  We were told that some may come to say goodbye, but that would be a personal descision.  That was followed up with reassurances that these were the only cuts.  The areas effected were named and it did make sense that some would be let go as there was a re-organization a few months back.  That re-org made a few positions redundant and this was the ultimate result.

We had been assured, earlier, by one of the big bosses (boss 3 times removed or some-such) that our company was dealing with the economic changes by halting expansion but preserving all current positions.  This was true for those not effected by the re-org apparently, but it did hold true for most of our company.  Turns out any "cuts" that may have come our way were done by elminating some of the positions to be filled.  I consider that to be the best kind of cuts - the cuts to positions that might-have-been.  Among our two sister offices, one made cuts similar to ours (elimination of positions not yet filled) but one had to cut other staff.

On that note, I would like to say that I'm really sad to see that anyone has to be effect by these changes and hope that those who find themselves without work will find something quickly.

On the hockey front today, we managed to get nine skaters out, but one of our goalies pulled out, having misplaced some equipment at home.  That provoked a discussion in the dressing room after on how to handle the situation.  A popular view was to have a goalie who commits but doesn't show pay their portion (normally goalies don't pay at all).  I suggested they should cover the cost of a rental goalie, but I'm not sure that is the best way to deal with the situation.  The problem is the balance between getting goalies to come out, which is difficult as they are a pretty precious resource, and making sure enough skaters show up consistently to keep costs reasonable.  Everytime two goalies are promised but don't show, some people leave disappointed and don't come back for a few weeks.  So some kind of system needs to be worked out, but I still don't know what that solution is.

The new skates are still reminding me that they are there pretty good, although my feet didn't have that constant ache.  The right foot got irritated on top again, altough this week it was much better.  Took almost the whole game before I noticed anything.  I tried to keep the last few eyes loose, but it wasn't perfect.  I suppose I'll find the right balance soon.  Plus I'll take them in to get reheated and fit again.  I'm beginning to think maybe I need a different insole on the right foot.

No comments: