Friday, January 16, 2009

Day 16 - Excelsior!

Yah, I had to lookup the meaning of excelsior too - the Simpson's references not withstanding.  I knew it was a favorite saying of Mr Burns: "...so excelsior to you!" in "King Size Homer" for example.  Turns out, it's also the motto of the state of New York, probably using the "ever upward" definition.  My last post I refered to the time of the year when resolutions are forgot, but I didn't explain it very well.  Some college in the UK (I believe) has picked January 19th, 2009 as the most "blue" day of the year, though I think I'd call it the most depressing day.  They use the winter aspect (short days, little sunlight) along with the bills arriving from Christmas to pick that particular date.  Fun.

Got another game in the new skates today - this time with reasonable length skate laces.  One of the goalies who played today used to play competitively for many years and works as a manager in a sports store now.  He said that he always recommends longer laces, as the ones supplied with Junior skates are quite short.  He noted that kids generally have a narrower foot, so they need to tighten up the boot more.  With that in mind, I tried to do up the skates adequately, but without pinching the tendon on the top of my foot.  This worked great for the left, not so much for the right.  I guess the irritation from the last time I played didn't help anything, but I must be instinctively tightening that one way too much.  I re-did the right side on the bench before the game started, but it was killing me by the end.  At least the balls of my feet weren't crushed like last time.  Oh well - I'll figure it out some day.  The skates are pretty nice, but I'm still not very well balanced on them.  The shooting pain in my one foot kinda distracts from the search for perfect balance.  I think that it will be really nice once I break them in and figure out how to tie them without cutting off the circulation to my big toe.  The right-hand big toe.  Yah.

My mom came by and showed off her new camera - a Canon G10 (review here) and it looks pretty nice.  She got 2 SD cards for it - each 4GB, paying about $14 for both.  I pointed out that my iPhone has that much storage in it and, after blank stares, relateded that size to the last computer they bought.  They bought an IBM PS/2 Model 50 with a 10 MB hard drive many years back.  So that little tile can store 4000MB/10MB == 400 times the storage.  That 4GB of storage can only hold ~600 pictures in super-fine mode.  One picture pretty much would occupy most of that old hard drive (~6MB/image).  A RAW image would require two of those hard drives.

No comments: