Friday, January 9, 2009

Day 9 - Hockey and feet

Nine posts, nine days.  It's a freakin' miracle.  Well, no, more like someone who spends too much time in front of the computer, but whatever.

So, I've had my new skates for almost a whole week and my foot is killing me.  It's been so long since I broke in new skates I completely forgot about how bad it would be.  I can skate, but not that well because my feet ache with them on.  The main problem is not the skate, but rather the dinky laces supplied with them!  I asked for longer laces before I left the store, but they left the originals in there.  I have to pull them so tight my feet hurt just so I can make a bow!  When I put them on for the first game, I tied the right side too tight and hurt that tendon that goes from your big toe across the top of your foot.  That and I put the toungue on the outside of my knee pads.  For the game I played today, I tightened the other parts as much as possible and put the toungue under the pad.  The top of the foot was okay, but now my foot was in so very, very compressed.  Longer laces will help and few days not wearing them.  Maybe I'll be able to take them back to where I bought them and get the new laces for free.  Maybe I'll just take them to see the guy who sharpens them and never mind about the other place - which ever.

In other interesting hockey-related news, John Tavares is playing for the London Knights now - the local OHL team.  My dad likes to go see a game every once in a while, but it's been hard to get tickets for the last little while.  The Knights have had a few really good seasons and the season ticket sales make getting seats impossible.  Well, you can get standing room tickets, but kids can really go there.  And seats are available, but only one or two at a time.  Anyway, Tavares is with the Knights and the played Tavares old team tonight, the Oshawa Generals.  London came out on top 6-1.  Well, I guess I can watch the local cable channel to catch a game and see how Tavares fits with the team.  Hopefully the team didn't have to trade away too many draft picks for him.

I hope I can get more comfy in the new skates - I do like them.  They're lighter and they same to handle better, but until I can skate without thinking about it, my game will suffer.  It's amazing how much more you do playing hockey then simply skating around.  I'm glad my youngest son has agreed to skating lessons while being as young as he is - that way I can make sure he has a solid skating foundation before he starts playing hockey.  Skating has to be something that enables you as a player, so you can concetrate on where everybody is and playing your position better.  Anyway, he's almost 5 and I that's a little too young for hockey.  It's be a good age for screwing around on the backyard rink or pond, but no dice.   The backyard isn't level enough, I haven't prepared anything at all and the nearby drainage pond hasn't frozen thick enough yet to be safe.  I still like playing hockey a lot - hopefully he will too.

No comments: