Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Day 7 - Is the number really necessary?

I think that numbering these posts helps me to stay on track.  Not very subtle, but after all, I'm not terribly subtle so it suits me.  I suppose I should stick to fewer topics in each post, but again, that's not really my style.

The company my wife spent a brief (part-time) stint at finally evaporated.  Looking back, she's sure she got out at the right time.  I think she was right - but she said she was skeptical of part of the ownership team from the beginning.  So today she was dealing with the people who were complaining about the demise of the company and pretty hostile to her comments of "you should have seen this coming."  Maybe the group of people that left at the same time was a hint - that or the police raid - but I can't be sure what would be the best indicator.

So we were talking at my parent's place about this, trying to work out how so many people could miss such glaring problems.  The talk turned to how different people react to problems, generalizing to the different styles.  My dad would not go quietly, where as my wife would go quietly - but more in the "This isn't good - I'm getting out" slip-out-the-back-before-anyone-notices style.  About a week before anyone else.  I suspect it's that insight that caused her to be passed over for better position at that company.  She's claiming "precognition" among her special skills now.

This leads to an interesting psychological point.  I don't know if there is a formal label for this pattern, but I'll do my best to explain it.  Let's start with basic premise - a person won't work for a company that they hate.  It's like having a free software disciple working for Microsoft - there is a phundamental philosophic pdivide pconflict (some times you have to work to get the alliteration).  That's not to say that it won't happen, as some reasons or needs overcome that difference.  Like if that free software disciple is really tired of coding for lattes on the corner and living in a discarded laptop box.  The interesting psychological part is when we invert this premise and apply the principle of inertia.  When someone is happy, they would like to remain happy, so if work for a company they are probably happy with the company (on the whole) and will suppress (or ignore) information that shows otherwise.  Humans adjust their perception of reality to accentuate certain things and ignore contradictions or items that damage a particular view.  This is enshrined in the saying "In his mother's eyes, he could do no wrong." Of when you search for that missing pen, searching all over and then someone else comes by and says "Is that it?" pointing at the middle of your desk just beyond your notebook.  

I'd like to remind you scientists out there reading this that I'm not writing book that attempts to illuminate the psychology of the working human, (although it could be a hoot), so I'm not even going to attempt to back these assertions up with years of carefully crafted studies.  I'm sure they exist, but I'm not going to go and cross reference them now.

So this is why there were so many people that were upset at my wife, though she was clearly right about this company she used to work for.  Be honest, you didn't think I was going anywhere with this, did you?  The people were the most upset were the ones that were happiest in their jobs.  They didn't want to see problems, so they simply didn't see any problems.  Obviously when 4 people quit at the same time, they're morons.  The police showing up is Allen conspiracy to make disgruntled employees feel justified in abandoning their attractive, hardworking and generous colleges...  Embellishment is fun, but even Allen would agree that this might be taking it a bit too far.

  Allen ~= Alien.  Like in extraterrestrial.  Not really working is it?

Yah, I think it's getting late again.  It's fun to lumber off in strange directions but eventually I have to circle back to my bed.  And sleep.  And something...

No comments: