Monday, January 26, 2009

Day 26 - Money, money, money

Had an early appointment today with yet another financial advisor.  I try and diversify my holdings (meager as they are) and so I have to deal with people that trying to help me with my money.  Or help themselves to more of it - whatever.  It did not go bad - I wish I could concentrate my cash a little better though.  Mostly it's my own fault - hockey is an expensive hobby and I like shiny things like computers and Internets.  Thinking about investments got me to wondering about a couple of things - taxes and the budget.

Tomorrow will be an important day in Canadian politics - the next budget.  This budget is responsible for the current Liberal leader, Michael Ignatief.  He wouldn't have become leader without the crisis precipitated by Stephen Harper in November.  Many have forgotten the coalition of the jilted: the Liberals, NDP and Bloc Quebecois, provoked by Mr. Harper.  That lead to the prorogation of parliament until today, with the budget coming down tomorrow.  If the budget keeps the Jilted happy, (or at least off balance), we'll continue on with business a la Harper for a while.  The dire warnings and changing tones (deficits can be good, $40 billion a year will still be a smaller deficit than other G8 nations) will result in a very intriguing budgie, er budget.

So many things that could happen here.  I think that the budget will do enough economic stimulus to disrupt or forgo the coalition.  There have been some leaks and hints about what is to come, but I think that is for the coalition's benefit.  Already it sounds like they may do some things that'll be good for me - roads & bridges.  I think there are several areas around where I live that could use a re-do.  Maybe there'll be money for the city of London to help with it's water/sewer crisis.  Everybody must remember the sink hole and realize that 200 water main breaks a month (a year? I don't remember) means there is room for help.  Plus the city has been struggling with its transit.  Struggling might not be the right word, but it certainly could use some more routes and buses.  London is the tenth largest city in Canada, but the transit infrastructure is no where near that of Toronto or even Kitchener-Waterloo.  But that's just specific local babbling - I am truly interested in what the Conservatives will present.  I guess I'll just wait for the details like everyone else.

No comments: