Sunday, January 7, 2007

Chevrolet Volt

Sweet! Looks like GM is going to make a car that I'd buy. Maybe I'll be able to afford it when it's available - 2012. That's 5 years and in line with how much longer I'd like to make my current cars last.

The car is a full electric car with a combustion engine that acts as a generator. It can be plugged into 110 V outlets for 6-6.5 hours charging, at which point the batteries have a range of about 64 km. When the charge gets low, the generator kicks in. Full tank plus full charge give a range of about 1000 km - just like my diesel New Beetle. Check here for the specs.

Guess that "Who Killed the Electric Car?" documentary kicked GM in the butt during the last Detroit Auto Show. They said they began work on the Volt after the 2006 show. Looks like they may actually be able to make something useful in a short period again. We'll have to see what else is going on in 5 years, but so far this is the most intriguing item I've seen in a long time. Other than some nice direct-from-Europe diesels that are on the way.

References

1 comment:

morganchemij said...

Frankly, I think the Volt and the energy savings it promises make for a revolutionary automobile. I have made a site dedicated to the volt

http://www.chevy-volt.net