Wednesday, January 3, 2007

Slow day...

It's been one of those days. You know, the ones were not much happens and there isn't much to say or do about it. At least that's the way it feels. I'll try and record what went on so I can look back later and see if what happened match the way it felt.

Started off the day slowly, mainly because I didn't have to go to work. Made it to about 10am before I realized it was Tuesday, hockey day, and wondered if Claude really canceled it. I didn't want him too, but I was glad he did. No emails, so no one was there. Besides I had the pinnies.

Made it down to Hockey World and made some purchases. Tried on a bunch of gloves again, and switched to what was choice 3 for me, the Nike Bauer Supreme 70. I said it was a Supreme 90, but I recalled incorrectly - it was a Supreme 70. As a segue, I really dislike the nikebauer.com site - all flash, impossible to link into. Anyhoo, these gloves were on the high end of the price scale, but I'm gonna cover that with my wellness benefit. Also bought a one-piece composite stick, which will also be covered by the wellness benefit. I'll have to double-check the "covered by wellness benefit" before I play with them though... can't spare that kinda dough for hockey right now.

Next, headed off to Best Buy to get a belated Christmas gift for my good friend. I got him a gift as almost a gag, (TJ Hooker, season 1 and 2), but he deserves an excellent gift, not a half-gag gift. Found out that movie I bought the other day for $63.99 is now $49.99! Asked about it in the checkout and they said "bring it in with receipt and we'll credit the difference". Which is cool - a good way to keep my business.

Got home and today was the day Grandpa (my wife's dad) visits. He took us out to lunch and it was most enjoyable. Went for a walk around the block with the kids after and the youngest rode his "car" instead of being towed in the wagon. The "car" is a small, plastic learn-to-walk toy, sitting about 20 cm off the ground. He has to lift his feet just so to glide, but he kept up for most of the way. I'd say it was about a kilometer all told, and he made it most of the way. Nearly fell asleep in his dinner, but he didn't have a nap.

Grandpa played with the kids and watched an episode of the Office (US version). Kept telling myself I'd get back to Best Buy. I played some online games (CS:S) which was pretty fun because all the old regulars were on all day. People I hadn't seen in a long time were having fun.

Tried to watch the Steve Yzerman jersey retirement ceremony, but bedtime for the kids got in the way. I was done that by about 9pm and I was surprised that the 1st period was only half over! Long ceremony, but he deserves all the accolades.

Tried to figure out what caused some instability in my computer. Upgraded the BIOS then uninstalled the last two things I added. I figure one of them might have contributed a driver that was causing wonky behaviour. Also one of the people I know who used to work at MS on Windows pointed out that most issues with XP are driver-related. Mainly because MS doesn't write most of them. This makes sense to me - MS has to test their own drivers extensively because they would look really bad if they had issues. Third party developers may be writing from a poorly maintained code base to support legacy apps and hardware, so they probably don't get the testing they deserve. So far, so good.

Intended to blog before the day came and went, but I just had to stay up and keep typing. Sad really. I guess, looking back, I did a fair bit as it took awhile to type. Ah well - still need to get to Best Buy, still need to try and return those chunky Frappaccinos to the grocery store, still need to write in a coherent manner...

No comments: