Thursday, January 18, 2007

It was a day like any other day...

...in that I went to work and did some stuff. A few discussions I had today seemed to revolve around the same theme - I am just no sure if it is a Thursday thing or what. The amusing label would be CLMs (or "Career Limiting Move"s), but that's not exactly accurate. A CLM is something so profoundly dumb that is quite possibly the worst thing you have ever uttered in public... and that moment coincides with a surprise visit from your boss's boss's boss. That's not exactly the theme, but more like a gaffe or slip-ups.

I call it a theme because I heard similar thoughts from very different people, so it must have been some meme, some infectious thought that was brought in with the new furniture in the morning. The kinds of things that make for good fodder in "the Office". Things that I tend to label "politics" and its cousin "self-censorship".

Those who know me (and continue to speak to me) understand that I dislike filtering what I say. I try to be open and speak what I think. That has got me into trouble in the past - particularly at gift giving times. I'm hard to buy for because I would tell people what I thought immediately. This was something that was worse when I was younger and I am very thankful that I get any gifts now, but I am still hard to buy for. Short comings like this are balanced by other features like unblinking honesty and a willingness to admit when I am wrong.

These things mean that I dislike the subtle maneuvering and suggestion within a social group that I label "politics". The misdirection and out-right lying necessary to manipulate others is distasteful and counter-productive. I would rather everyone feel free to discuss openly any problems, without blame, to resolve them. After all a company is a group working towards a common goal - the better the team works together, the easier (or more quickly) the goal can be reached. When a conversation at work turned to the topic of how to resolve a certain issue, the topic of politics came up. Some had been in workplaces so poisoned with politics that the simplest issues had to be handled delicately. Fortunately all agreed that our current workplace did not have such problems - almost any issue can be resolved with simple discussion. That is one of the reasons I like my job - not the activities, but the people.

A related topic was "self-censorship". This may seem like "politics" because it implies a certain subterfuge. While I am quite willing to let things all hang out and deal with the consequences (no "broken fly" jokes please), I have enough experience to recognize that not everyone can. This is where the "Golden Rule" (do unto others and you would want done unto you) breaks down - things I could and would handle would be offensive if done to another. So being careful with how ideas are presented is something I try and do. I don't always succeed, but that's what personal growth is all about. I try and keep in mind two quotes: "It is better to stay silent and be thought a fool then opening your mouth and confirm it" and "Brevity is... wit."

Pick your jaw off the ground - it does seem impossible but I can keep my mouth shut. When I'm asleep. When I read. When I type. Even when I really really want to add that extra Futurama quote ("Stop exploding you cowards!!!"). This is something that I am trying especially to work on - not filling the insolent silence of the meeting room with a torrent of unceasing chatter, but the clear peal of wisdom. Yes, yes your future laughter echoes in the ears of 'past me' that is writing this. If a goal isn't a stretch, it isn't much of a goal.

The idea of "self-censorship" is not a limiting idea, but a challenging and liberating one. Striving to illuminate a point or observation benefits everyone. Too many words cloud and distract, possibly drawing attention to unintended areas. Too few words leave too much to interpretation. The balance must be found and that is challenging.

And, because I must get in on the action, 3 blog points to the first commenter that can find the Simpson's quote I used above. An additional 5 blog points to the first commenter that knows the episode it is from.

No comments: