Friday, January 5, 2007

More Questions and Some Answers (but mostly questions)

Turns out I missed the point of Kimota94's post yesterday. Which, as I commented there, was actually great. I pulled out something different from that first post, which in turn triggered another post from Kimota94.

One thing Kimota94 mentioned was that he "... rarely even remember yesterday's problems today,..." At first this may seem odd that a person would forget such a thing, but I believe it has a simple explanation. As he explained, he dealt with the problem and it was done. There was no need to remember it because it is finished. The issue may never make it to long term memory simply because he generated the response so quickly. It is easier to regenerate the solution than recording the answer - an evaluation that is conducted subconsciously. I think that the reasoning provided as to why he can perform the evaluation so quickly is also very astute. I have known others who operate in a similar vein.

This of course leads me to reflect on my own strategies. I know I often engage in several of the other listed strategies. Particularly, I find that if don't explain myself enough, no one knows what I'm getting at (or what my decision was), so I try to explain myself, think out loud. I would like mutual agreement, so I try to seek consensus (approval) first.

People that know me realize that I like to talk (and write and type and blog....), but some have seen times were I present ideas or solutions in a group and no one gets it. That is a reason why I talk so much - I spend many words establishing a context or common basis for others to follow.

Today was actually an interesting example of not being understood. I was part of a group trying to get a system working on the Violet feed. The problem centered around the server portion of the system, so I didn't have much to do except test the changes as they were made. Nothing came of it. As the day wore on, I summarized the situation to the others by stating the problem and then that the solution must be in one of two areas. I explained it to someone else who looked at me for a second, turned to tap away for and then said "try it now." Of course whatever he did worked!

The problem I had was two fold: I do not know how the server side works in great detail and I couldn't describe my suspicion well enough. It was extremely frustrating to be in a situation where I could see the problem but lacked the knowledge to test the possible solutions. I correctly understood the problem and had the answer, but I had to explain that to someone who knew the server system well enough to translate my idea into a solution. When I looked back, I stated the problem out loud several times.

This is why it is great to work with other people, people who will listen and try to understand what you say and help. That's why it is important to remember that there are several approaches and sometimes one approach is better suited to the current problem.

Funny, this post didn't lead exactly where I expected. My fault for doing this too late again. I've got to try and do this earlier when my thoughts are still coherent! Anyway, I hope this is illuminating, but not in a self-aggrandizing manner. Definitely not my intention. Tomorrow will hopefully bring more thoughts with higher coherence.

No comments: