Thursday, March 5, 2009

Amusing Anecdote

Today , as I am feeling much more coherent than the last few nights, I will present a more coherent entry.  During my normal, waking life I often pilot my own vehicular transport, terrestrial transport module, or car.  This is a tale of transporticus interruptus, car troubles of a chilling nature.  Maybe a chilling-warming-chilling nature - you decide!

Two days ago I was heading home from work.  I was in the left-hand lane a comfortable distance behind the next car.  As I approached an intersection, the car in front took an odd line through it.  I realized that it was avoid a pothole.   This road defect didn't look too bad and I didn't want to swerve because I wasn't sure if there was a car beside me.  I thought I probably would miss it, but I was wrong - full on with the front wheel.  For a moment, I wasn't sure if the wheel was still attached - perhaps the car was just holding itself up on that side out of habit.  Later I was convinced that I had four wheels still.

The next day after work, I decided to travel the same path, but with the knowledge of the hole, and see if I my wheel cover was there.  I discovered that morning that it was missing.  I caught sight of it, but I wasn't positive.  Looking ahead, I discovered that the two cars in front were not moving, so I slammed on my brakes.  The person loading the trunk (at the bus stop) looked kind of surprised - much like I was.  You don't expect people park and load cars on a road that doesn't have parking or stopping.  Much less to do it at a bus stop.  But I guess that's just me.

This morning, I decided to take a closer look at my wheel - maybe I just couldn't see the cover.  Further inspection indicated that the cover was indeed gone and the the tire was flatter than the others.  Perhaps this was from the dent in the rim - nearly 3 cm deep.  The wheel cover would best be retrieved in the morning, I surmised, after then events of the previous evening.  I parked and walked over to where I saw the cover the night before.  It was not my wheel cover.  I looked around and spotted another - it was not mine.  I gazed more carefully and found the wheel cover in the bushes, but sadly it was not mine either.  It was no where I could find it.

Tomorrow I shall try and make a trip by the spot and take some pictures of the covers and the pothole, if it's still there.  Maybe some municipal workers, or helpful squirrels, filled the pothole with asphalt today.  One can only hope....

No comments: