Friday, March 6, 2009

Late posting....

Little bit late - using the ole blogger trickery to make this post for Friday.  No big whoop.  Anyhoo, I had lots of stuff planned for today - getting my wheel fixed, going to buy "Watchmen", going to see "Watchmen".  I hoped to be giving my impressions of the movie "Watchmen", but sadly all showings were sold out by 8:45pm.  Which is pretty impressive - so I'm not sure when I'll be able to see it!  So instead, saw the movie "Taken" with Liam Neeson.  I liked it - good action film.  Nothing too deep, other than listen to your father.  The CIA operative, not the rich step-dad.

As for my car, my rim was not dented as badly as I feared and required a few blows with the hammer to straighten.  Got that done, balance checked, wash for $22.  A very small service - I'm used to spending no less than $120 every time I take my car in, so this is a welcome anomaly.  I still have to get a new wheel cover, but I'll wait a bit before I get that.  I should explain that my car uses synthetic oil, so even an oil change runs $80, although I only have to do it every 10 or 12 thousand km.  For me that's about 6 months, so it's cheaper than $29.99 every 2 months.

Fortunately I was able to make it to the bookstore and got a copy of the "Watchmen" graphic novel, along with "V for Vendetta".  I've been curious to read more of Allan Moore's work, and I'll have to find "From Hell" eventually too.  I've seen the movie versions of "V for Vendetta" and "From Hell", but heard that the graphic novels were much better.  I borrowed a "Watchmen" 6 months ago and it was good, but it needs multiple readings.  Which is why I acquired my own copy.  So off to peruse those and then to bed.

2 comments:

Mike Marsman said...

Not sure if you have a Costco membership, but a synthetic oil change there runs me around $40...

cjguerra said...

No costco membership - yet. I do know some people that have it though. I've been happy with the people I deal with at the dealership. Things got better in the last few years too. Before, they had the traditional "if x is broke, we fix by replacing with part y." Now they will actually attempt to fix the problem. For example, my car developed a car in the exhaust. The exhaust has two basic pieces - the "head" end with the manifold and catalytic converter, and the tail end with the muffler. This crack was in the head end, so to fix it would be ~$1200. The service guy suggested I take it somewhere else to get welded. I did and it cost about $30 bucks. More recently, another crack developed and the dealer mechanics welded the exhaust because that's all it needed. So I don't mind paying a bit more because I've had good experiences with them. Plus, it's more of a pain to do the change on a diesel so it does cost more.