Sunday, February 22, 2009

Ah, Sunday

It's the day after curling day in London.  Not to be confused with Hockey Day in Canada, which happened to be the same day.  Coincidence.  Seriously.  Curling is fun, it turns out, and I am eager to engage in it again.  My technique sucks, but that's what practice is for.  There was talk of making this event annual or semi-annual and I expressed my eagerness for such an undertaking.  I don't believe my brief post from yesterday indicated how I was the only person to put rocks in play on the very first end - one actually in the house!  After that, I was too heavy, too left or way too light.  So all over the map.  An hour of practice by myself would be nice, but that's for another time.  I'll have to contact someone I work with who curls - maybe I can arrange for more ice time.  Might be difficult if I can't convince my wife though...

Today was also the end of a cub camp for my eldest son - I think he had a pretty good time.  He actually managed to pack most of his stuff the way it arrived.  Even more impressive if you saw how the various sacks were bulging dangerously on the way in.  Camps can be pretty chaotic, but they also provide time to play with fire.  Campfire, out in the snow, with sticks and no accelerants.  So the good kind of playing.  All his clothes smell like smoke, so either the camp burned down, or he enjoyed the campfires.  The buildings were all there when I picked him up, so there you go.  Pretty good setup for winter camping - they had modestly heated buildings to camp in.  I've been winter camping - once - and it was okay as a scout.  As a cub, not so much.  You have to keep your coat on inside your sleeping bag and basically figure out how to stay snug without fire.  Inside your sleeping bag - no flaming tents or the like.

No comments: