Sunday, February 15, 2009

Nice Sunday

Pretty nice day all around.  Relaxed pace, a long nap, lunch with family - very good.  Had lunch with my parents and brother-in-law again - second time since Friday we've shared a meal.  Managed to use my iPhone to show him Rowan Atkinson's sketch "Welcome to Hell".  That and a bunch of Arrogant Worms tunes he didn't know, so a very hilarious lunch with lots of Canadian content.  Well, Canadian musical content anyway.  

Well, I wanted to rant, er discuss, er.. well rant was right I guess.  Kimota94 has a post about non-interviews that I really relate to.  Many times there are pseudo-articles, elaborate advertisements, that try to focus the reader on particular aspects of a product, but miss the point entirely.  I have to remind myself to be wary of such things and try to apply some basic reason, but I can almost forgive them because it is their job to sell things.  Another more serious version of the same issue is when a complex technical issue is being addressed and the emphasis is placed on the wrong aspect of the item.  For example, the idea of fully online applications, ones that reside entirely on the Internet.  When mentioned, what is stressed is that all you need is a browser and an Internet connect and you can have 24-7 access, implicit upgrades, no hassle, etc etc.  It leaves out things like who is maintaining the infrastructure?  Where does the work take place, locally or on a server?  Who has access to the server?  How can I be sure that my private information isn't processed through several servers in different places?  What happens if that company disappears?  What happens if the servers have a problem - where is my data?  These are items that I'd be worried about, because I'd want control over my data, not just access.  

The same sort of pattern happens around programming languages, where some esoteric feature in one language is hailed as the new "right way", ignoring the fact that many paradigms have come before and more will come.  That just means that one solution doesn't fit all problem, one paradigm doesn't describe the perfect framework.  Anyway, enough ranting for this evening - I'd like to increase my internal relaxation level and decrease the rant level.  For now.

No comments: