Thursday, February 26, 2009

Scout bowling

The cubs got invited by the scouts to go bowling tonight.  Worked out pretty well - we took over a nice 5-pin alley, the Fairmont Lanes.  The kids seemed to have a good time - they were definitely loud enough to seem like they were having fun.  My elder son, who is currently in cubs, bowled without the bumpers and used his unorthodox style to reach 96 for the first game.  He went into the 10th frame with 94 and I thought he'd be able to break 100.  It's pretty good considering the best game he had a few weeks back was 103 with the bumpers.  And he'd like to go back, but I suspect it's the "claw" machine that's more interesting.  He really wanted to play so I gave him some money.  He managed to win a monkey on his 4th try.  A stuffed monkey, which I'm calling Curly.  Because of the Three Stooges.  It's a bowling themed name.  Whatever.

I'm trying to be a little more proactive at work, although its a detestable word.  I have to use a different phrase, or generate some clever euphemism...  Self-starter isn't better.  Self-motivated is as bad as self-starter, while auto-motivated just sounds wrong.  Maybe I could say "I'll eat it like a duck" because ducks don't chew their food...  Nah - "on like stink on a dog"? Too negative - implies I keep forgetting my deodorant.  Hmm - "on it like killer bees on everyone?"  Nope.  "Like bankers on a bailout?" Bingo!  I'll be more banker-on-bailout at work - seizing the cash, er, opportunities that present themselves.

No comments: