Tuesday, February 3, 2009

That's aaaallll evverybody!

Guess today is the 50th anniversary of the death of Buddy Holly, so the title's a decidedly weak play on a Simpson's joke (the gravestone of the Big Bopper).  Just a random item - not something I'm commemorating or celebrating in any particular fashion.  What I did just do was watch Scrubs, and it's still going strong.  I like its simple formula - consistent, straight-forward comedy with an ongoing story to tie everything together.  I have a real hankering for some gium and tonic though... Don't really want the gium-legs though.  I haven't seen all the episodes for this season, but the ones I have seen I've really liked.

Got a new Spectrum today and I was surprised to find an article that strikes a chord with where I'd like to head at work.  It gives some handy points on how to make the jump from being a heads-down techie to someone that can talk with management and be helpful.  Fortunately for me, I do some of the items naturally - speaking with candor (is there any other way?), real-time ideas (again - is there any other way?).  The other items - "what-next ideas" and "management mind-set" are things I have to approach.  The "what-next ideas" is looking forward to next steps - something that developers/engineers/techies don't really get a chance to do because they're too busy making things work now.  The "management mind-set" is the hardest of all because it includes items like:
4. Can you learn to tolerate the fact that some decisions are based on politics? Can you accept that the technically right solution isn’t always the right organizational solution?
I'd judge this to be one of the most difficult for the engineer/developer/techie/{label} to adapt to because part of their job is to make the right thing happen, where "right" is measurable in an objective manner.  I've heard this described as "picking your battles".  The purpose is clear - you can't oppose every item, can't fight every little thing because nothing would get done.  This was something that I started on the road to since about grade 7.  I was doing a special project with a partner - group projects weren't really done in grade school.  I had an idea of what I wanted, and I just kept sticking to them until they were all that was left.  It took a few years to realize all the levels of wrong that was - ignoring the opinions of my partner, letting my opinions spill all over their ideas until it was clear to my partner it they shouldn't try.  Not my finest moment, but that's what we all need - mistakes to show a better way.  If I was truly enlightened, I'd be able to predict mistakes and correct them ahead of time, but I don't think that happens much.  

What I realized much later was that it was best to gather everyone together and try to verbalize ideas.  At least, that's what helps me the most.  What I have been refining is how to guide such a discussion without leading it.  I've come across as trying to lead (or herd?) and that isn't a collaborative  method, shutting down disagreement and taking things in one direction.  What I am really doing is working through all the ideas by approaching them from different angles.  So I have to be more finessed (subtle) with this technique, so I can keep people participating and collaborating while I still get value out of it.  Very complicated, but whatever - it's a new skill and it's good to develop new skills.  Much like writing and blogging.  Blogging helps me to express myself quickly in print (in bits?).  Probably should do some review and editing to get any real benefit out of these efforts, but whatever.  I'm typing onwards, no backwards! Upwards not forwards!  And always whirling, whirling, twirling towards freedom!

Hopefully, tomorrow will be a good hockey day and this cold will get a little better before then.  Hopefully both goalies show up.  It's a time for hope and I have to keep hoping I guess.

No comments: