Monday, February 2, 2009

Cold-ward ho!

Nothing like a good cold to knock you down in the middle of winter.  I have been much sicker than this before, but it's always a bother.  At least it's getting better - last night I had to take some Tylenol to get to sleep, but tonight probably not.  And the day at work went just fine - unlike Sunday where I had trouble concentrating all day.  So it was good that I didn't really get much done on Sunday.  Now I'm just trying to get to bed reasonably early and fight this cold in a decent fashion.

Listened to some mayors this morning on The Current.  They were discussing this last budget and I think they bring up some interesting points.  They were carefully grateful for any monies in the budget, but were critical of how the money had to be obtained.  Seems there aren't many details yet, but they would like to see less red-tape involved with the infrastructure-related issues.  They would prefer something structured like the gasoline tax that the federal government gives directly to municipalities.  In these times of "stimulus" and "fast action", I'd have to agree.  Various ministers went around the country asking about "shovel-ready" projects, and it seems the cities can apply if they are ready to go.  But applications take months and require several levels of approval.  I can see why they wish to go the gas-tax route.  I just hope that all the money that is being spent actually ends up in infrastructure projects quickly, while the workers are still available.  Otherwise the construction workers may look else where as the companies close up, leaving no one available when the budget is approved.  Also, the idea of "matching funds" isn't really help the average taxpayer - we'll have a huge federal debt and then our municipal taxes rise to "match funds"?  Doesn't sound like stimulus - sounds like passing the buck.

Anyway, enough ranting for today - I must get off to sleep.  Those sinus don't drain on their own...

No comments: