Saturday, February 14, 2009

Long day

It has been a long day today - a rich day, full of cajoling, taking away, threats and chocolate.  I spent the early part of the day at the local Shopper's Drug Mart standing in front of a wall of Valentine's Day cards with 8 other men.  Each took their turn examining the 5 different card types that were left, with one particularly sappy one spread across 27 different slots.  Each came away satisfied that they have done something to avoid... whatever unpleasantness greeted the realization that Valentine's Day dawned without a card.  I also bought some nice Lindt Mint Chocolates for my wife.  Then another box for good measure.  Later, I made another special trip to buy my own box because they just looked so darn good.  Plus they were on sale.  Win-win!

The afternoon grew towards my nap, er, our trip to the bowling alley.  My nephew, sons, mom, dad, and I went 5-pin bowling at a location that I know I've been to before, but have not set foot in for years.  My mom was chatting with the proprietor on the way out and mentioned that she used to bowl there - in the 1960's, so it's been a while.  Plus she was a better bowler then.  No kidding - it's been quite the layoff.  The boys did really well with bumpers, although I suspect that they started to throw for the rails to get banked shots near the end.  I started to get some more accuracy after the second game, but I really need to practice some more and I think I could improve greatly.  I bowled more often as a kid, especially 5 pin, but never seriously.  My cousin bowled in a league for a few years and he was pretty good, but I don't think his back would stand for that kind of shenanigans now.  By the time the kids had their McDonald's and we were home, everyone was pretty much done for the day.

Nine o'clock pm had me watching Space and Fringe.  I really love how Space is showing some current series with a 1/2 week delay - Fringe being one and Chuck the other.  Chuck hasn't been showing new episodes for so long now, I can't remember if Space still carries it.  Anyway, I was able to watch the most recent Fringe episode tonight and I'm really glad I did.  They decided to reveal the huge left-turn in the series, namely the multiverse aspect, with Walter and Olivia being particularly important players.  I'm sure Peter will be revealed as a linchpin later.  I like the characters, Walter and Peter, enough to keep watching.  I like the actress Anna Torv, but her character seems too predictable or perhaps lead at times.  Maybe we are travel with her in this story, so they don't want her too opaque or too smart.  Lots of character archetypes appear in the show - pure villans, mysterious powerbroker (Nina Sharp), heels (Olivia's boss's boss), unrequited love interest (Peter), font of knowledge (Walter), and so on.  Production values are good so hopefully the story will remain interesting for some time.  So far, I like.

No comments: