Monday, February 23, 2009

Mmm... Blizzard cake...

Monday again.  On the way to work, I had that little light go off.  Not the shining beacon of creativity, but the ominous amber glow of potential problem.  My wife and I went to a birthday bash on Saturday for some friends who have birthdays around the same time we do, and she made the off-hand comment about where her cake was.  At the time, it was a playful jest, directed at not-me, so who would remember such a trifle.  On the way to work I put somethings together and realized I failed in my ice-cream-cake-retrieval duties as a husband.  Please, don't let it happen to you - buy three or four and store them in your secret chest freezers to have ready-to-serve on a moments notice.  You will be surprised when such dates spring out from the corners at you!  Prepare the cakes with "Happy 21st Birthday" or keep a fresh tube of icing in the cupboard if you can trust your sugar-messaging abilities.  Remember - keep that tube of icing fresh!  Check it every few weeks by consuming the 2cm of sweet, sweet frosting nearest the cap.  It is the only way to ensure that the icing has gone stale!  Also, it's fun to eat sugar.  So at least you'll be happy until your Islets of Langerhans pack it in - but the icing will be fresh!  Small price for edible writing.

As for me, I was able to procure a Blizzard-cake to complement the fine meal to be had this evening.  I think it was appreciated and unexpected - a good sign!  Plus the fact I survived the weekend meant that I didn't miss too badly in the first place.  The ice-cream cake was pretty good and I think I will get one again.  I also think that it will serve more than 8-10 people.  Maybe 12-16, but then again, that's what I see based on how much we've had tonight.