Sunday, February 1, 2009

A new month

Well, it's post 32 for the year (2^8) and post 150 for the entire blog.  Not really impressive, but still pretty fine, as far as I'm concerned.  And since I'm the only one who likely reads this, I'm the only one who needs to be impressed.

Not a fantastic day so far - real up and down, but in the makes-good-small-talk way, not the never-be-the-same way.  My cold is in full force, so I'm using some fun medication to get rid of the sinus pressure.  Other than that, it's fine.  I actually made it outside this morning, as my neighbours were busy with their snowblowers, but not in their own lanes.  I haven't had to do any serious shovelling for weeks - my neighbours have gotten out and applied snowblower to my driveway before I can react.  Usually when I'm at work.  Anyhoo, my western neighbour complained about phonebook delivery.  I agreed along with her - even the part about wanting to jump them in a back alley somewhere and go all Russel Peter's dad on them.  Seems the deliveries happened while it was snowing, so these delivery-people decided they didn't have to get out of their vehicle.  Which meant the phone book was left somewhere in the last 2' of the driveway.  And then it snowed 6".  So when my neighbour pulled our her trusty snowblower...   She said it took hours with a small knife to cut the pieces out of the blower.  Which is why I found mine on the porch - she moved it there!  Both the neighbour to the east and the west were busy plowing lanes, I was able to finally deliver the small tokens of my appreciation - cookies and chocolates.  They both tried to politely turn me down, but I wouldn't have it!  They deserve a small token of appreciation and since neither of them drinks, delectables it is!

So that's one down and one up - here's another down.  I was organizing my mail, and found a Union gas bill I hadn't opened from a few days back.  I was pretty surprised at the bill - more than twice what I expected.  I was shocked when it said I was going to be disconnected!  After combing my records, I didn't find any trace of my gas bill for the previous month.  My wife and I agreed that the mail delivery quality has gone down since the retirement of the old one a while back.  I can't even recall how far back that was, but I've been getting a magazine for the same number, but a different street.  The street names are not close - don't have the same pattern, starting letter, etc.  I suspect that my bill got misplaced.  I think I finally have a reason why I should move to electronic billing - maybe I won't miss anything that way.  I also realize that I've become too reliant on simply paying the bills that show up.  I need to create a list of the bills I should be paying and their schedule.  Kinda like the garbage pickup schedule.

These are the things that are making my head hurt today.  That or the cold - whichever: the end result is still headache.

No comments: